😍My blood pressure has been getting better and better!! So no joke me losing the weight eating healthier and working out daily. Does actually help! So that’s why I am officially off the medication since last year when my Doctor certified me fit and continued to do so !! 💪👍
The 2 photos was taken 4 months apart, lost 15 kg (33 lbs) from April to August of 2019. As of today, February 2020 I am at 89 kg (196 lbs), compared to when I was at my heaviest of 126 kg (277 lbs) back in 2017. I am still a work in progress…
For the past year, I have been on a diet and health transformation. The difference has been dramatic and mostly due to what I ate. Portion control, less carbohydrates, more vegetables / fruits, cutting off all snacks / junk foods and learnt to cook and bake my own meals with healthy, less processed ingredients. I did also exercised daily for improved fitness and overall well-being. But 2 years prior I had already slowly lost weight purely from my change in lifestyle and what I ate. Exercise only contributed to a few percentage of weight loss.
For me it’s not about the looks at all, but mental, internal and physical health. Way too many friends around me are getting lifestyle diseases and some had passed away, which triggered me to start this change for the better. I was on medication for hypertension, had fatty liver markers, slip discs surgery with 2 relapses, was easily sick, skin problems, etc… And all these issues improved tremendously ever since I became healthier, lighter, fitter.
My hope was to use myself as an example to encourage others to do the same for their own health sake before it becomes another case of “too little too late”. I want to promote body positivity, not shame the size or shape that we are, as everyone is different. For me had I not need to lose the weight to improve my back problem, I would have rather remained a big guy. But alas, it was a matter of health and statistically obesity is affecting lives and our society economically.
No this is not an ad for skin whitening products. 😉
But it’s a fact that my Acanthosis Nigricans hyperpigmentation skin conditions has greatly improved after I lost weight and ate healthy. 👍And continues to do so. This is not for the sake of looks but a sign of my body’s health. If left unchecked it’ll eventually lead to many health issues as I age.
🧐Such skin condition is literally skin deep and no amount of scrubbing or whitening products can help, I tried before in the past to scrub until it bleeds ouch!! And used all sorts of skin whitening deodorants etc … I am just in denial and thinking it’ll help but NOPE! And the Skin Doctor did tell me that since I have this issue for decades it’s also possible that some areas may be permanently darkened already. So no choice. But the point being my health transformation is directly correlated to my skin condition which is a visible indicator of my internal health.
So please take note to my many friends who has similar conditions too, check with your skin doctors like I did and follow up with your various Doctors to improve your health. 🙏Stay healthy y’all 😄
It typically occurs in individuals younger than age 40, may be genetically inherited and is associated with obesity or endocrinopathies, such as hypothyroidism, acromegaly, polycystic ovary disease, insulin-resistant diabetes or Cushing’s disease.
Today 23 Jan 2020, I did my 4th check-in of my body composition measurement and health assessment with Active Health (under Active SG)!😄 At ActiveSG Woodlands Sports Centre Gym this morning.
My overall health / fitness score has improved (though slightly), to 68/100 from 64/100, 3 months ago in Oct and previously 60/100 in July.
My previous instructor, Boon wasn’t around so a new Fitness Instructor Ding Yifei aided me in my body composition measurement and given me tons of advice for my health and fitness level and also advised me to perhaps start the HIIT program, so will be meeting him next week twice to go through the new exercise regime. Exciting times!
So, in 3 months (between 9 Oct 2019 and 23 Jan 2020 ) I had:
- ✅Dropped 1.9 kg of body fat mass. Still plateauing thus expected that the fat loss will be slowing down and harder now to loss it.
- ✅Reduced 2.1% of body fats.
- ✅Skeletal muscle mass actually increased by 1.1kg, YES! In fact it was at my all time high!
- ✅Lost only 0.3 kg in total weight.
- ✅BMI dropped from 31.1 to now 30.9 kg/m2.
- ✅Visceral Fat level dropped from level 15 to 13, YES!! While visceral fat area dropped 9% from 151.2 to 137.5 YEAH YEAH !!
- ✅Basal Metabolic Rate also improved! From 1622 to 1658 kcal but still it is out of normal recommend range of (1829 – 2153). Still gotta keep improving!
- ✅My Bone mineral content also increased from 3.49 to 3.63, normal range should be (2.69 – 3.29).
All in all it is definitely an improvement!! 🙏 Of course still more work to do and continue to improve my strength and muscle mass to increase my metabolic rate as well as reduce my visceral fats to normal range too. 😄
Hope everyone also improve your health and fitness level! Let us all work towards better quality of life👍
For more information on the FREE! program check out: https://www.myactivesg.com/Active-Health/Assess/Fitness-and-Health
Also for more info on the inBody body composition results sheet: https://inbodyusa.com/general/result-sheet-interpretation/
ActiveHealthSG #ActiveSG #YouCanDoIt #StayHealthyFit
😁YEAH BEST NEW YEAR NEWS!
Today went for my medical review with my Endocrine Doctor about my blood test result and it’s GREAT! 😍
🙏Everything is in normal range including my vitamin B12, Folate, full blood count, Blood Pressure. Plus last Friday had 4 Medical Appointments around TTSH:
- Skin centre viral vaccination $190 – finish my 3rd jab to prevent some skin viral infection i had.
- Blood test 7 tubes (Vit D/B12/folate, IFA, PTH, Zinc, Full blood count) $113.85 – YES ALL NORMAL !👍 though my vitamin B12 seems lower than 3 months ago when I had the B12 booster jabs so advised to continue my current diet and see next 3 months later if it is in a downward trend cause if so then very likely no choice I do need to be out in supplements to keep my B12 level up. Again my DNA test months ago did show that my body has more difficulty in absorbs B12 than normal people. Today’s Dr consultation is only $5.40 (Medisave claimed). I did also request in the next blood test I wanted to check my fatty liver too with ultrasound which was last done in 2017, so about time to check how it really improved for sure.
- Physiotherapist $23.35 – Advised on my form and how I should do my squats and lunges to reduce issue to my right knee meniscus tear, ligament issue. Also was advised to seek appointment for Occupational Physiotherapist for aches and slight pain on my recent left ring finger and right ring finger knuckle. So my Endocrine Doctor helped me referral to Orthopedics for my finger issue.
- Dietian $24 – was advised to eat more carbs to improve my nutrition and less meat. But ok to continue my portion and 2 meals a day I have been doing.
- Some are at subsidized rate… but yeah medical is not cheap and I don’t have insurance coverage for such costs. Singapore is not cheap but still it’s somewhat subsidized and I could dip into my medisave at times too. So actually not as bad as some other countries.
- Next… body composition measurement and discussion with my fitness instructor from ActiveSG, and also fixed a dental appointment at TTSH, for normal checks it’s been a while…
✌️So #StayHealthy everyone! Do your regular checks, especially if you are on a different diet and exercise regime to track your progress💪
🧐Recently been watching Dr Sten Ekberg’s channel and many of his teachings in health and fitness really align with how I approach my own health, and some points that made me rethink my strategy too! 👍Very enlightening! Adjusting and improving my approach slowly (every 3 months or so) over time. So educating myself as much as I can in health and fitness!
DAY 296🚴🏻♂️of FUN-xercise! 💪 DAY 165 muscles workout.
Great British bake off season 10 and junior.
Hair treatment brush oil, the works how?
11.11 sales ending…
Singapore fashion on the rise…
🎶 My FUN-xercise workout music playlist on Spotify!
👍 Check out my updates about my health and life progress at:
💪Find out more about the ActiveSG on-boarding and health assessment programme for FREE:
Summary of my health transformation:
- Been a fat kid since young until mandatory conscripted national service in 1998.
- 2001, After my military service which I had lost from 98 kg to 74 kg.
- Went into university then 2005 work life, started gaining back all the weight and more.
- Had skin problems, pre-hypertensive, stress related vertigo, fell sick often, easily and weeks to recover.
- 2007, had spinal surgery for 2x slip discs (L4/L5 & L5/S1) region.
- 2 slip discs relapse of inflammation on 2012 & 2018.
- 2017 – 126kg, that year I was on Chinese vegetarian diet and ate way too much carbs and mock meat.
- Decided to change diet, reduce eating rice/noodle/bread/pasta, and slowly only eating 2 meals a day.
- Lost over 13 kg in 2 years
- 2019 Jan – 113kg – Day 1
- For next 7 months on Low carbs and Low sugar diet.
- Learned to cook
https://facebook.com/teelip/albums/10156583849731089/ and bake https://facebook.com/teelip/albums/10156560801731089/ my own meals with healthier ingredients.
- Eating only one meal a day. Though been experimenting with eating various times and within certain time periods.
- Started 1 hr exercising Everyday, 30min cardio (120-130bpm) and 30 min muscle strength training
- 2019 Aug – 90kg, lost over 23kg in 7 months.
- I had been live video streaming my progress in exercise and understanding of nutrition on Facebook as a means to account for my own actions and a way to vlog my journey.
- Blood test and body composition measurements, all improved. Lowered visceral fats, maintained muscle mass, improved metabolic rate.
- Stopped medication for pre-hypertension and my fatty liver markers also gone.
- My hormone imbalance, folliculitis, skin boils and swollen lymph nodes, neck dark ring (acanthosis nigrican) skin condition also greatly improved.
- Felt lighter, more alert, more creative and productive.
- Though if I can remain big in size and still have strong spine and good health I rather be the size cause it’s not about how I look. But unfortunately my body could not sustain the weight which impacts my spine, hence I need to lose the weight and build my muscles and strengthen my core to help support my spine. If I can perhaps be big built in muscles someday.
Went for my 3rd blood test review this year. It’s a mixed results. Great news my blood pressure is Super good, no need mediation any more. 127/62 every thing else is great no more fatty liver issues no cholesterol issues etc.
😮BUT… due to my extreme diet and also my recent circleDNA testing also had shown I have predisposition to not be able to easily absorb vitamin B12 than normal people, doctor advised me to try go back to eating 2 meals a day (instead of one) maybe within 8 hrs is ok, as for the amount of weight (more than 30% of my base weight) I have lost since 2 years ago It is maybe best for now to maintain at around 90kg and pending future adjustments.
So plan now also is to do weekly B12 injections for next 3 weeks then another blood test to see if it gets better. Otherwise I may have to depend on supplements to boost my B12, D3 and Folate. It is possible that my Low B12 that explains my numbness and stiffness of my fingers and hands since I started this extreme diet. Cause if it become deficient I may get “Pernicious Anemia” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency_anemia which affects my red blood cells production and cause me to be more tired. So looks like I will be researching the hell out of this condition now… my new medical goal 🧐
So that is why I wanted to seek Dr consultation as I know my extreme dieting will cause unknown issues until I check and know what next course of actions I need to do. Well also means eating more again hahaha well in a healthy way lah… 😋😁
Stay healthy and keep fit everyone😍
Well I knew how that feels…and now looking through the other side of the mirror… damn !! 😝
The other day I feel weird suddenly when I sat in my friend car and was told to sit behind cause the other bigger friend had to sit in the front seat so there is more space for rest of us at the back, including me!! I gladly obliged…. 😜 but yeah truth be told I know the struggles in our Asian society especially where everything are made for average or smaller sizes. ☹️
HAHA 😂 Wow I didn’t know I can control my pecs a bit… learnt it from Terry Crews who is master of bouncing pecs! 💪💪
He said it on AGT just simply squeeze your arm in. Oh didn’t know it’s that simple. But I think I still haven’t got to control it individually without my shoulder and arm moving slightly still. Haha still no muscle definition obviously but yeah also realise my left pecs is stronger and I can control better than my right one. Anyway just fun silly stuff… move along 😜
😄I’m Losin’ it!! Yeah!! Now 90kg and had lost over 23+kg in 7 months since January I was 113+kg till now August 2019. 😃
🤔Of course weight is just one of the benchmark of health, importantly i’m still eating healthy, getting sufficient rest, exercising and maintaining muscle mass. Will continue to do health checks and track my progress! 😍
🙏Thank you everyone for your support and hope I too will encourage and inspire y’all to stay healthy just like what others have done for me through their own health journey! Passing it forward! 👍😄
😜Before you puke and be judgmental about durians. Food is subjective. In my part of South East Asia durians is a delicacy akin to Italian Blue Cheese which in this part of the world would find it pungent! But as all things in life it’s about habit and familiarity. I grew up exposed to my grandma’s farm and been eating durians so we can discern the taste and gotten used to the pungent smell. And likewise when I grew up I had exposed to cheese cause of Italian foods and blue cheese in particular I tried and actually loved it, and when I was in university and did my internship, the company is literally above a pub which serves blue cheese fondue so you can imagine the strength of that smell everyday!! But I am blessed to be exposed to all these flavours of life!! I do find smelly toufu of Taiwan to be off putting but I tried it and it’s not that bad actually, just because I am not used to it’s “stinkiness” LOL 😂
Now onto my main topic: DURIANS!
Not to boast or anything, but wanna share my blessings … 😄
It’s an exclusive Mao Shan Wang 猫山王(aka Musang) durains!! From my Malaysia friend’s sister’s in-laws who has their own personal durian tree in Malaysia!! And he managed to package it to bring it to SG to give all to me!!!! So so blessed!! OMG 😮 so custard sweet slight bitter and Super fragrant!!! I’m gushing now!!! 😋 Frankly in the past I had only mostly D24, so can’t remember how Mao Shan Wang durians taste like, so thankful I have chance to taste it for free! So so blessed👍😊
For obvious reasons I am not naming my Friend here as he is humble and also I respect his privacy. 🙏But again thank you to him and his sister and her in-laws for making this happen!!! 😍
OMG 😮 I ate 6 seeds today (normally in the past I easily will devour over 20 seeds), but I am on my new lifestyle diet change so I am mindful not to over indulge. Well there goes today’s calories count, burst it more than 300+ 😜, anyway it’s not Everyday so it’s ok and I moderate it with not eating other desserts that I made. Durian is seasonal and hard to come by especially this very special occasion. So it’s ok to indulge a little since I had paid off with my own hard work and lost over 20kg and became healthier too. But no excuse! I am still continuing my habit of healthy lifestyle and I hope all of you do too! 😉
If you want to find out more about common Durain varieties and difference in taste you can read a mini guide here: https://guide.michelin.com/sg/en/article/features/guide-to-durian-know-the-difference-between-mao-shan-wang-and-d24#
Let’s get to know some more common durian types and how to open them: https://youtu.be/Rvw3pnCcCJg
And a short video about a particular durian farmer and his operations: https://youtu.be/bFWC1tvL7pE
Most of us never thought much about the nutrition values of durains (Gosh per average seed of around 40g there is 54 calories!!) but it is rich in nutrients and helps lower cholesterol ! I didn’t know that!! Check out this: https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/durian-myths-facts-king-fruits
There are roughly 30 recognised types of durians (I think I only ate before 3 types… hehe yah my durain palate actually very shallow) but around 500 named varieties in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia combined!! WHAT !!!! 😱
Find out more about this fascinating king of fruits in Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
Freshly baked coffee, chocolate with sea salt caramel chips muffin!! So moist! And sweet!!
https://www.facebook.com/741971088/posts/10156552813606089?s=741971088&sfns=mo 🙏Hope in 20+ years later I will age gracefully… It all starts now when you are still younger, forming a good lifestyle, holistic, internal, mental and physical too!💪 Life is too short to waste it in poor health, as you amass wealth and experiences it’s also time to be wise about what you put your body through 😄
I want to be able to face my future self and not regret. Thank you to my past for who I am today, learnt from my mistakes and prepare for the future. Cause it’s what you cultivate now that will eventually blossom and flourish into the strong tree of tomorrow.🧐
😜Let’s fast forward 40+ years into the future… when fancy looking spectacles are magically molded onto my face (cause I’m old school 😆) and I am a semi-senile and joyful old man … as I sing song of yesteryears… LOL 😂 still happily healthy and ageing gracefully👍
#notfaceapp #oldme #joyfuloldman #ageinggracefully
😄👍Having lunch at Jewel Changi in front of the #RainVortex rainforest ahhh so relaxing and beautiful place to eat my own cooked lunch and chill… before I head out to Today @ Apple for some mini workshops that I signed up for! I was at the opening this morning and gotten also exclusive Apple T-Shirt freebies hehehe 😜🥰
😍On this episode of [ Let’s Cook with Teelip ] – roots veg – into cake and mash.
Puréed carrots and sweet yams to make cakes and potatoes into yummy mash! 🤩
👍It’s healthier to use it to build the bulk of the cake with coconut flour and raisins / cranberries so all natural sweetness! Added sour cream, soy milk and butter, even some yeast as I wanted to test how it will affect the texture, it does have some leavening effect but not enough to counter the density of the roots veg purée, but still it has the slight bread chewiness in it. Eat it with home made chocolate butter cream! Delish 😋
Homage to my childhood 80s and it’s Stranger Things day!!#LetsCookWithTeelip #StrangerFoodThings #retro #80s #RootsVeg
😍💪YES!! Just did my 2nd check-in of my body composition measurement at the onboarding program by Active Health (under Active SG)!😄 At Admiralty Medical Centre.
🎉SUPER NEWS! CELEBRATIONS 🥳
I went from overall 49/100 (unhealthy) score to 60/100 (average) in 3.5 months time (between 16 March to 2 July)! My diet, lifestyle changes and exercises has worked tremendous! Sharmila my fitness specialist she is super happy for me too 👍😊
She explained the various results for me and guided me with proper muscle strength training form and advised how I should approach my exercise now onwards. She wants me to do 2-3 times strength training per week , then rest that particular muscle group for 2 days and so on. Reduce repetitions from 20 to 12. Lessen my resistance band as currently its too much for my training as she can see I am straining and should be sustain slow movement, do squarts without the band for now and watch my form. But she will get the other specialist to email me for further instructions of how to strengthen my core muscles without straining my spine problem.
So basically in 3.5 months (between 16 March to 2 July) I had achieved:
1. Dropped 12 kg of fat mass.
2. Reduced 6.7% of body fats.
3. Muscle mass also reduced around 1kg but it is relative as my body weight overall dropped also the machine is latest so maybe more accurate now than the previous machine I used.
4. Lost 13 kg in total weight.
5. BMI dropped from 37.9 to 33.
6. Visceral Fats dropped from 20 to 17, yes!!!
7. Metabolic Rate seemed similar but it’s improvement because it is relative to body weight so I had improved from a deficit of 491 kCal to now deficit of 295 kCal so an improvement of 40% !! But of course still lots of work to do as it’s still not within normal range which at my weight should be (1923 to 2268), my current is way below at 1628.
So all in all it is definitely an improvement!! GAMBATEI !! 🙏👏😄 Of course still more work to do and continue to improve my strength and muscle mass to increase my metabolic rate as well as reduce my visceral fats to normal range too. Yippie!!! So Happy 😁
Hope everyone also improve our health and fitness level! Let us all get better quality life👍🤩
For more information on the FREE! program check out: https://www.myactivesg.com/Active-Health/Spaces/Lab/Appointment
#ActiveHealthSG #ActiveSG #YouCanDoIt #StayHealthyFit
😍Yippie! Another first time successful try at making mini Savory Mince Pork Pot Pies 🥧 with various toppings.
(OMG 😋 say Pork Pot Pies 10 times! 😂)
The pastry sweetness comes from purées of carrots, sweet yam and some coconut sugar. 👍Toppings are a variety of sesame, honey, sea salt caramel, raisins/cranberries. The fillings is a reduction of cooked mince pork, some veg, cream cheese, soy milk all cooked in some canola oil. 👌I had used psyllium fibre and coconut flour to firm up the pastry dough plus egg to bind them.
🧐Next time I think I could have added also cheese in middle so it ooze out when cut open which adds more dimension to the texture and taste too! 😛
🤗But as of now, it’s super tasty too! Just right amount of savory and natural sweetness!
PS: 🤔some insights, I baked the base layer first so it is more firm and crusty also to help soak the liquid creamy mince meat filling before covering up the pie lid which I then baked the whole pie in lower temperature! Thank goodness it all worked out well 👌🙏
“Let’s Eat with Teelip” – my try at a comedy vlog. In this episode, #NoShame Eat like an Animal! Take a tour of my one meal of the day, yeah pretty packed with meat and veg and lots of grilling, pan-frying, steamed, braised, baked, etc…
Retro themed cause it’s a homage to the golden years of my childhood and the looks and feel, brings back memories of recording on VHS tapes and playback.
Cool thing is this Apple Clips app has live voice-to-text translation! Well cause I am not speaking standard English, more like Singlish and pretty fast at times, the translation becomes gibberish and pretty funny too! Did I mention it is a comedy? So I deliberate left it as is and not correct the text, which you can easily do in the app. But pretty nice themes, filters, labels, stickers and emojis you can add like any standard modern vlogging app. #LetsEatWithTeelip #NoShame #AppleClips
😍MY FIRST EVER try at a fancy decorated multi-layered cake!! 🍰
And it’s delicious too! 👍“Low” carbs & sweetness but oh man so chocolatey YUM 😋
😜 haha it’s not the prettiest as I am experimenting and learning along the way on my own, how to make chocolate decorations with sugarless couverture chocolate. I had chocolate cake, chocolate mousse and pumpkin purée from my previous baked that I made from scratch. So I thought might as well turn them into one gorgeous layered cake! So I was looking around my kitchen for domes to form the mold of this layered cake. Granted, I don’t have professional equipment and techniques (yet), but I hacked up some things that is dome-like such as the glass bowl, ice cream scoop, microwave plastic boiler, and even a glass test tube end, haha 😂
But hey hey it’s fun project and i’m sure I can qualify now for the Netflix reality baking competition SHOW “Nailed It” (https://youtu.be/cTW0fUlW42I) 🤣
Anyhoo… I enjoyed baking various concoction and testing various low carbs ingredients such as pumpkin purée and almond / coconut flour or stevia sweetener and Low G.I. Coconut sugar. I did use honey too but limited it’s portion as I used banana and the sweetener to coax out the taste and flavour. I had all sorts of chocolate in it too from chips to couverture to sea salt caramel and powder too. I try to make it fancy so it’s appealing to eat too, afterall we eat with our eyes first! Haha yeah I know the layers are lob-sided … haha that’s what I get when u try to hack the layers together.
The layers are:
- Inner most is just pure honey.
- Pumpkin purée with coconut sugar sorbet.
- Salted sour cream / cream cheese / butter mousse.
- Chocolate cake using almond flour with raisins and cranberries bits.
- Base is 90sec keto bread using coconut flour and cinnamon powder.
- Outer coating is a chocolate in Agar-agar jelly with Chia seeds and banana purée.
- Chocolate drizzles with sesame seeds and coconut sugar sprinkles with raisins and cranberries.
- Topped with some chocolate decorations I made with the couverture chocolates.
Will keep learning and being inspired by professional Bakers and Chocolate Artists and chefs of all professions! GAMBATEI ! Gotta keep improving my skills! 👍😄
How much weight fluctuations do my daily diet and exercise cause? Here is a one day look, of course it can vary depending on my food intake and activity of the day.
😄Before meal — 94.3 kg
🍲Took my one meal of the day of low carbs, veg and meat and some starch from banana and cake I baked with almond flour.
😋After meal — 95.7 kg (gained 1.4 kg from food intake alone)
🚴♀️ 💪After 30min cardio & 30min resistance band muscle workout — 94.9 kg (lost 0.8 kg)
😴 Went to sleep and next day — 94.6 kg (lost 0.3 kg) looks like I gained overall 0.3kg from the day before.
But as my activity and food vary overall I do lose throughout the weeks and months. But I know my fitness and internal health has been improving too that’s for sure as I do blood tests to see the actual improvements and will do doing another set of body composition measurement next week to see how my visceral fats and muscle mass change in the past months since. Stay tuned 👌🙏😍
😒DAY 1 — 15 min cardio only.
😄DAY 129 — gradually increased to 60 min cardio at max 8/8 Cycling resistance, minimal 15 km/h speed.
🤩DAY 148 — evolved to 30 min cardio, minimal 16 km/h speed & 30 min muscle workout for 19 days.
So far so good, though had some aches and knee pain but it comes and goes, part of managing my fitness and health over time. Still learning new techniques in resistance band training and getting my body in much better state than before. TRUE!
As always you have to approach health and fitness holistically instead of just weight / calories count in diet change. But your physical health as well as mental health too!
Stay fit everyone 👍💪😄
🤷🏻♂️People often ask me what is my diet? To cause me to lose over 18 kg in under 148 days. As on average I do lose 0.8-1.5 kg daily. 😍 I do eat pretty well!
All in moderate portion (within one medium sized wooden bowl, I had personally verified with hospital dietitian and the nutrients balanced out well for me in a day).
My own home-cooked one-meal-a-day, and it’s tasty as I like to pack as much flavour in spices (chilli flakes, curry, turmeric, garlic, paprika) with butter or olive / canola oil — lots of veg (broccoli, onion flower stalks, spinach, tomatoes) in miso & calimansi sour broth thickened with sour cream, grilled chicken, pork belly cubes, grouper, mince pork.
And for dessert I baked Hong Kong egg custard tart, topped with chocolate ganache (dark chocolate with soy milk and agar agar and stevia sweetener). With banana or apricot as sides or as night snack with almond or walnut if I am hungry.
After a meal typically I gain 1.2-1.5 kg but daily I do my 1 hour (30min cardio and 30min muscle) exercise too.
So it all worked out. Health and fitness, but yes I need to continue to work on my other aspects like reduce screen time (but my work is online so kindda tough) and get good restful 7-8hrs sleep.
So still on my way to weight loss but I MUST emphasis that is only a fraction of the equation to health, you have to track your progress through Dr consultation, blood tests and body composition measurements which I had been doing regularly and has positive upward trend results!
Again to each his/her own, you must find the diet and lifestyle changes and exercise that you can keep to it and make a good habit of. Doesn’t matter what diet plan but you have to test it and see if it works over months, with Dr advise and check ups! I took 2yrs plus to slowly get rid of my bad habits and only in past 148 days that I am on this more extreme one meal a day and daily exercise with my own home cooked food so I can control what goes into my diet without all the unnecessary additives and processed food in outside food. PLUS cutting out the starchy, junk, fast food and such. Overall I do save my health and $$ too in the long run!
Looking back this is Day 1 – I can only sustain 4/8 resistance and for 15 minutes only, I was already panting very hard.
While this is today Day 148, 8/8 max resistance and not panting sometimes short of breadth as I pushed myself much higher and faster.
Stay healthy and fit everyone!🙏😄
Interesting this video reflects what I am doing!! Except of course I cannot burn as much calories as he is (maybe someday), so my one meal of the day is more moderate, not monstrous like his! It is true also that you must cook your own meal to ensure low carbs, healthy fats and lots of vegetables in the meal you are eating. Balancing the micro / macro nutrients intake.
I can testify that this method of long intermittent fasting works for me, and I can still enjoy the foods you eat and joy of making them! Of course I exercised too!
Also to do regular medical checks to make sure I am getting proper micro / macro nutrients and track my internal, mental and physical health.
I failed with other diets and health supplements that didn’t work for me in the past 20-30 years of my life since young.
BUT the dramatic change for me is the will power and determination due to emotional triggers of friends who had passed away from medical illness.
The follow reasons (in no particular order) must be considered, otherwise it is likely you will fail at this particular diet plan:
- Social eating — this is what most people do with work colleagues or family, the gathering together to communicate over meal. So eating one giant meal and cooking, makes it hard. BUT then, you could still meet and drink healthy tea no sugar, and communicate too. It’s cultural and hard to change as you get affected by people around you, as I did. So ever since I changed, I brought my own home-cooked food to eat with my friends during my one meal which is around lunch hour, so not midnight just before sleep like what Blake did. Maybe his method is more efficient, might try in the future.
- Cook your own meal — In order to control what goes into your food and thus consume the best nutrition rich meal per day. But I get it, in the past my work spanned long hours and overtime, etc. So by the time I get back home, I am tired to cook, or even exercise. Thus ever since my personal sabbatical, I can afford the time and cultivate a consistent good habit and learn to cook and bake which is lots of fun, experimenting with new ingredients and techniques all the time! So never a dull moment, but yes it takes time and energy to cook and clean up too (but see that as exercise! And part of the good habit to keep things neat and tidy.)
- Food choices — choose low carbs, low sugar, high in healthy fats (olive, salmon, avocado, etc) version of ingredients, sometimes they tend to me more expensive (well at least in Singapore). But also reduce process food, as they tend to have other chemicals to enhance flavour, extend shelf-life for sale as it is food industry’s way to maximise profit, but unfortunately at the expense of consumers’ health. It can be cheaper for consumer, but what you save in money now, you might pay back later in health. So not worth it in the long term to ignore your intake of healthy food.
- Exercise / workout — to burn all your calories, and have healthy physical body. Increase muscle mass to help also increase your metabolic rate which in turn helps burn even more excess calories easily, plus your muscles will help support your body which is aging and deteriorating too. Helps reduce visceral fats (fats surrounding your internal organs which you cannot see, it’s not the skin fats which makes you look big or lean in shape), and excess visceral fats has linked to diabetes and other illness too. So you can look lean, with high percentage of visceral fats and be unhealthy inside (check out this video: https://youtu.be/aGuED1JczbI ). That is why SUMO wrestler is healthy internally but still has huge amount of subcutaneous (skin) fats and big strong muscles. So to help find out your visceral fats for FREE!! Singaporeans can attend the free session to measure your body composition here: https://www.myactivesg.com/Active-Health/Spaces/Lab/Appointment , seriously our government is helping citizens so much, health wise, and I am not saying this to be patriotic! After all we are the only main resources Singapore has!
- Will power — as mentioned earlier, you need a motivational factor, for me it is emotional and enough to trigger me to change, a change in lifestyle and mindset towards my health and how I manage my life around it. YOU MUST WANT IT, no one can force you to do it. Period.
- Food addiction — many people’s worse enemy, I too battle to control my need to feast and love of food. So with the diet, I get to control what i eat and cook what I love and learn new things to cook, in a way it curbs my addiction, and what leads to it? HIGH CARBS & SUGAR, and its the sweet sugary and starchy food that cause me to want to eat even more, spike my insulin levels and makes me hungry sooner and wanting more and more! So I choose low glycemic index alternatives, like brown rice, etc. but in much smaller portion.
- Moderation — too much of good thing is also bad. Everything in moderation, which is so true and sadly I only learned it after all these years. Well that is why everyone need to understand your own amount that you should take and not in excess. Everyone is different in body type and genetics, etc.
There are of course other external, social, financial factors too. But do what works for you, and adjust over time to find a method that works for you. If you start baby steps of change and cultivate good habits over time, it can happen, cause it did for me!
This is one of the channel I learn from too : https://youtu.be/vhmtoAYVRSo
I have been intermittent fasting so that’s why it helps me in adjusting and help me in reducing ailments and losing weight too.
More sciences have shown fasting helps but of course you must also balance with how much and what you eat, when you eating. No point fasting and then meal time you over eat and eat all the terrible unhealthy ingredients 😂