🧐Recently been watching Dr Sten Ekberg’s channel and many of his teachings in health and fitness really align with how I approach my own health, and some points that made me rethink my strategy too! 👍Very enlightening! Adjusting and improving my approach slowly (every 3 months or so) over time. So educating myself as much as I can in health and fitness!
😜Before you puke and be judgmental about durians. Food is subjective. In my part of South East Asia durians is a delicacy akin to Italian Blue Cheese which in this part of the world would find it pungent! But as all things in life it’s about habit and familiarity. I grew up exposed to my grandma’s farm and been eating durians so we can discern the taste and gotten used to the pungent smell. And likewise when I grew up I had exposed to cheese cause of Italian foods and blue cheese in particular I tried and actually loved it, and when I was in university and did my internship, the company is literally above a pub which serves blue cheese fondue so you can imagine the strength of that smell everyday!! But I am blessed to be exposed to all these flavours of life!! I do find smelly toufu of Taiwan to be off putting but I tried it and it’s not that bad actually, just because I am not used to it’s “stinkiness” LOL 😂
Now onto my main topic: DURIANS!
Not to boast or anything, but wanna share my blessings … 😄
It’s an exclusive Mao Shan Wang 猫山王(aka Musang) durains!! From my Malaysia friend’s sister’s in-laws who has their own personal durian tree in Malaysia!! And he managed to package it to bring it to SG to give all to me!!!! So so blessed!! OMG 😮 so custard sweet slight bitter and Super fragrant!!! I’m gushing now!!! 😋 Frankly in the past I had only mostly D24, so can’t remember how Mao Shan Wang durians taste like, so thankful I have chance to taste it for free! So so blessed👍😊
For obvious reasons I am not naming my Friend here as he is humble and also I respect his privacy. 🙏But again thank you to him and his sister and her in-laws for making this happen!!! 😍
OMG 😮 I ate 6 seeds today (normally in the past I easily will devour over 20 seeds), but I am on my new lifestyle diet change so I am mindful not to over indulge. Well there goes today’s calories count, burst it more than 300+ 😜, anyway it’s not Everyday so it’s ok and I moderate it with not eating other desserts that I made. Durian is seasonal and hard to come by especially this very special occasion. So it’s ok to indulge a little since I had paid off with my own hard work and lost over 20kg and became healthier too. But no excuse! I am still continuing my habit of healthy lifestyle and I hope all of you do too! 😉
If you want to find out more about common Durain varieties and difference in taste you can read a mini guide here: https://guide.michelin.com/sg/en/article/features/guide-to-durian-know-the-difference-between-mao-shan-wang-and-d24#
Let’s get to know some more common durian types and how to open them: https://youtu.be/Rvw3pnCcCJg
And a short video about a particular durian farmer and his operations: https://youtu.be/bFWC1tvL7pE
Most of us never thought much about the nutrition values of durains (Gosh per average seed of around 40g there is 54 calories!!) but it is rich in nutrients and helps lower cholesterol ! I didn’t know that!! Check out this: https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/durian-myths-facts-king-fruits
There are roughly 30 recognised types of durians (I think I only ate before 3 types… hehe yah my durain palate actually very shallow) but around 500 named varieties in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia combined!! WHAT !!!! 😱
Find out more about this fascinating king of fruits in Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
“Let’s Eat with Teelip” – my try at a comedy vlog. In this episode, #NoShame Eat like an Animal! Take a tour of my one meal of the day, yeah pretty packed with meat and veg and lots of grilling, pan-frying, steamed, braised, baked, etc…
Retro themed cause it’s a homage to the golden years of my childhood and the looks and feel, brings back memories of recording on VHS tapes and playback.
Cool thing is this Apple Clips app has live voice-to-text translation! Well cause I am not speaking standard English, more like Singlish and pretty fast at times, the translation becomes gibberish and pretty funny too! Did I mention it is a comedy? So I deliberate left it as is and not correct the text, which you can easily do in the app. But pretty nice themes, filters, labels, stickers and emojis you can add like any standard modern vlogging app. #LetsEatWithTeelip #NoShame #AppleClips
How much weight fluctuations do my daily diet and exercise cause? Here is a one day look, of course it can vary depending on my food intake and activity of the day.
😄Before meal — 94.3 kg
🍲Took my one meal of the day of low carbs, veg and meat and some starch from banana and cake I baked with almond flour.
😋After meal — 95.7 kg (gained 1.4 kg from food intake alone)
🚴♀️ 💪After 30min cardio & 30min resistance band muscle workout — 94.9 kg (lost 0.8 kg)
😴 Went to sleep and next day — 94.6 kg (lost 0.3 kg) looks like I gained overall 0.3kg from the day before.
But as my activity and food vary overall I do lose throughout the weeks and months. But I know my fitness and internal health has been improving too that’s for sure as I do blood tests to see the actual improvements and will do doing another set of body composition measurement next week to see how my visceral fats and muscle mass change in the past months since. Stay tuned 👌🙏😍
🤷🏻♂️People often ask me what is my diet? To cause me to lose over 18 kg in under 148 days. As on average I do lose 0.8-1.5 kg daily. 😍 I do eat pretty well!
All in moderate portion (within one medium sized wooden bowl, I had personally verified with hospital dietitian and the nutrients balanced out well for me in a day).
My own home-cooked one-meal-a-day, and it’s tasty as I like to pack as much flavour in spices (chilli flakes, curry, turmeric, garlic, paprika) with butter or olive / canola oil — lots of veg (broccoli, onion flower stalks, spinach, tomatoes) in miso & calimansi sour broth thickened with sour cream, grilled chicken, pork belly cubes, grouper, mince pork.
And for dessert I baked Hong Kong egg custard tart, topped with chocolate ganache (dark chocolate with soy milk and agar agar and stevia sweetener). With banana or apricot as sides or as night snack with almond or walnut if I am hungry.
After a meal typically I gain 1.2-1.5 kg but daily I do my 1 hour (30min cardio and 30min muscle) exercise too.
So it all worked out. Health and fitness, but yes I need to continue to work on my other aspects like reduce screen time (but my work is online so kindda tough) and get good restful 7-8hrs sleep.
So still on my way to weight loss but I MUST emphasis that is only a fraction of the equation to health, you have to track your progress through Dr consultation, blood tests and body composition measurements which I had been doing regularly and has positive upward trend results!
Again to each his/her own, you must find the diet and lifestyle changes and exercise that you can keep to it and make a good habit of. Doesn’t matter what diet plan but you have to test it and see if it works over months, with Dr advise and check ups! I took 2yrs plus to slowly get rid of my bad habits and only in past 148 days that I am on this more extreme one meal a day and daily exercise with my own home cooked food so I can control what goes into my diet without all the unnecessary additives and processed food in outside food. PLUS cutting out the starchy, junk, fast food and such. Overall I do save my health and $$ too in the long run!
Looking back this is Day 1 – I can only sustain 4/8 resistance and for 15 minutes only, I was already panting very hard.
While this is today Day 148, 8/8 max resistance and not panting sometimes short of breadth as I pushed myself much higher and faster.
Stay healthy and fit everyone!🙏😄
Interesting this video reflects what I am doing!! Except of course I cannot burn as much calories as he is (maybe someday), so my one meal of the day is more moderate, not monstrous like his! It is true also that you must cook your own meal to ensure low carbs, healthy fats and lots of vegetables in the meal you are eating. Balancing the micro / macro nutrients intake.
I can testify that this method of long intermittent fasting works for me, and I can still enjoy the foods you eat and joy of making them! Of course I exercised too!
Also to do regular medical checks to make sure I am getting proper micro / macro nutrients and track my internal, mental and physical health.
I failed with other diets and health supplements that didn’t work for me in the past 20-30 years of my life since young.
BUT the dramatic change for me is the will power and determination due to emotional triggers of friends who had passed away from medical illness.
The follow reasons (in no particular order) must be considered, otherwise it is likely you will fail at this particular diet plan:
- Social eating — this is what most people do with work colleagues or family, the gathering together to communicate over meal. So eating one giant meal and cooking, makes it hard. BUT then, you could still meet and drink healthy tea no sugar, and communicate too. It’s cultural and hard to change as you get affected by people around you, as I did. So ever since I changed, I brought my own home-cooked food to eat with my friends during my one meal which is around lunch hour, so not midnight just before sleep like what Blake did. Maybe his method is more efficient, might try in the future.
- Cook your own meal — In order to control what goes into your food and thus consume the best nutrition rich meal per day. But I get it, in the past my work spanned long hours and overtime, etc. So by the time I get back home, I am tired to cook, or even exercise. Thus ever since my personal sabbatical, I can afford the time and cultivate a consistent good habit and learn to cook and bake which is lots of fun, experimenting with new ingredients and techniques all the time! So never a dull moment, but yes it takes time and energy to cook and clean up too (but see that as exercise! And part of the good habit to keep things neat and tidy.)
- Food choices — choose low carbs, low sugar, high in healthy fats (olive, salmon, avocado, etc) version of ingredients, sometimes they tend to me more expensive (well at least in Singapore). But also reduce process food, as they tend to have other chemicals to enhance flavour, extend shelf-life for sale as it is food industry’s way to maximise profit, but unfortunately at the expense of consumers’ health. It can be cheaper for consumer, but what you save in money now, you might pay back later in health. So not worth it in the long term to ignore your intake of healthy food.
- Exercise / workout — to burn all your calories, and have healthy physical body. Increase muscle mass to help also increase your metabolic rate which in turn helps burn even more excess calories easily, plus your muscles will help support your body which is aging and deteriorating too. Helps reduce visceral fats (fats surrounding your internal organs which you cannot see, it’s not the skin fats which makes you look big or lean in shape), and excess visceral fats has linked to diabetes and other illness too. So you can look lean, with high percentage of visceral fats and be unhealthy inside (check out this video: https://youtu.be/aGuED1JczbI ). That is why SUMO wrestler is healthy internally but still has huge amount of subcutaneous (skin) fats and big strong muscles. So to help find out your visceral fats for FREE!! Singaporeans can attend the free session to measure your body composition here: https://www.myactivesg.com/Active-Health/Spaces/Lab/Appointment , seriously our government is helping citizens so much, health wise, and I am not saying this to be patriotic! After all we are the only main resources Singapore has!
- Will power — as mentioned earlier, you need a motivational factor, for me it is emotional and enough to trigger me to change, a change in lifestyle and mindset towards my health and how I manage my life around it. YOU MUST WANT IT, no one can force you to do it. Period.
- Food addiction — many people’s worse enemy, I too battle to control my need to feast and love of food. So with the diet, I get to control what i eat and cook what I love and learn new things to cook, in a way it curbs my addiction, and what leads to it? HIGH CARBS & SUGAR, and its the sweet sugary and starchy food that cause me to want to eat even more, spike my insulin levels and makes me hungry sooner and wanting more and more! So I choose low glycemic index alternatives, like brown rice, etc. but in much smaller portion.
- Moderation — too much of good thing is also bad. Everything in moderation, which is so true and sadly I only learned it after all these years. Well that is why everyone need to understand your own amount that you should take and not in excess. Everyone is different in body type and genetics, etc.
There are of course other external, social, financial factors too. But do what works for you, and adjust over time to find a method that works for you. If you start baby steps of change and cultivate good habits over time, it can happen, cause it did for me!